Places of Worship and Cemeteries

Cranbury residents enjoy many different religions. The list below identifies places of worship and cemeteries within and near the town of Cranbury.

Places of Worship
Baptist Church
Chinmaya Mission
Episcopal Church
Methodist Church
Presbyterian Church
Roman Catholic Church
Synagogues and Jewish Centers
Unitarian Universalist
Cemeteries
Combined Cemetery Maps
Brainerd Cemetery
Westminster Cemetery
A really interesting article about a hidden graveyard for Native Americans and slaves and about a Lenape trading post (by Crystal Van Kirk)

Baptist Church

First Baptist Church Of Hightstown
125 South Main Street
Hightstown, NJ 08520
Phone: (609) 448-0103
http://www.fbchightstown.org/


Chinmaya Mission

Chinmaya Mission
95 Cranbury Neck Road
Cranbury, NJ 08512
Phone: (609) 655-0404
http://www.chinmayamission.org/princeton


Episcopal Church

St. David's Episcopal Church
90 South Main Street
Cranbury, NJ 08512
Phone: (609) 655-4731
http://www.StDavidsCranbury.com/
St. David's Episcopal Church is a successor to Trinity Episcopal Church in Hightstown, which closed in 1957 after one hundred years of operation. As new people moved into the area it became evident that there was a growing number of Episcopaleans whose spiritual needs were not being met. Thus in 1968 St. David's began holding services in the chapel of the Peddie School in Hightstown. In 1982 the present building was erected on six acres of land at the south end of Cranbury. In 1995 improvements and expansions took place, including the addition of a much needed educational wing.


Methodist Church

Cranbury United Methodist Church
21 North Main Street
Cranbury, NJ 08512
Phone: (609) 395-0613
http://www.cranburyumc.org
Francis Asbury, first Bishop of the Methodist Church, visited Cranberry in 1772 and 1790. In 1845 regular services, held in private homes, became so popular that they were moved to a local schoolroom. The cornerstone of the present United Methodist Church was laid in 1848 and by 1849 the basement meeting room was finished, roofed over and used as a place of worship. In the years 1866-1868 the present sanctuary was built and a bell tower was added. The primitive rose window, destroyed by a hurricane many years previously, was restored in 1977 by four teenage parishioners from a puzzle of frame fragments.


Presbyterian Church

First Presbyterian Church
22 South Main Street
Cranbury, NJ 08512
Phone: (609) 395-0897
http://www.cranburypres.org
In July 1739 James Rochead sold land adjoining the mill property "to be the use of the Elders and Deacons of the Presbyterian Church." The community had moved from Old Church in Monroe Township to Cranberry Town where they then erected the First Presbyterian Church in 1740. In 1759 an additional 150 acres were purchased for the Parsonage Plantation. A larger church was constructed in 1788 on the site of the present building which was built in 1839 and enlarged in 1859. The 1878 Parish House has been renovated several times, the latest in 1960.


Roman Catholic Church

Nativity of Our Lord
185 Applegarth Road
Monroe, NJ 08831
Phone: (609) 371-0499
http://www.nativitymonroe.org/

Saint James
36 Linden Avenue
Jamesburg, NJ
(732) 521-0100 or 0112

Queenship of Mary RC Church
16 Dey Road
Plainsboro, NJ 08536
Phone: 609-799-7511
Queenship of Mary RC Church
The pastor is Rev. Robert Medley

St. Anthony of Padua Church
156 Maxwell Avenue
Hightstown, NJ 08520
Phone: (609) 448-0141
http://www.stanthony-hightstown.net/index.htm

St. David the King
1 New Village Road
Princeton Junction, NJ 08550
Phone: (609) 275-7111
http://stdavidtheking.com/


Synagogues and Jewish Centers

Beth El Synagogue
50 Maple Stream Road
East Windsor, NJ 08520
(609) 443-4454
www.bethel.net

Beth Zion Messianic Synagogue
ROVA Farm Resort
Route 571
Jackson, NJ
(732) 370-7703
Beth Zion Messianic Synagogue

Congregation Beth Chaim
329 Village Road East
Princeton Junction, NJ 08550
Phone: (609) 799-9401
http://bethchaim.org/

Congregation Etz Chaim
Monroe Township Jewish Center
11 Cornell Avenue
Monroe, NJ
(732) 251-1119
Congregation Etz Chaim

Congregation Toras Emes
639 Abbington Drive
Hightstown, NJ 08520
Phone: (609) 443-4877
http://www.toras-emes.org/

Mikvah of Central Jersey
639 Abbington Drive
Hightstown, NJ 08520
Phone: (609) 443-1599


Unitarian Universalist

Corner of Route 206 and Cherry Hill Road
Princeton, NJ
(609) 924-1604


Cemetery Maps

Paul Christiansen has kindly donated a vast amount of data related to both the Brainerd and Westminster cemeteries.


Brainerd Cemetery

Brainerd Cemetery, adjoining the First Presbyterian Church, consists of 5 acres donated to the church by James Rochead in 1740. 40 graves date before 1800 and 80 Revolutionary War veterans are buried in the cemetery.

The lake and Brainerd Cemetery are named for David Brainerd, missionary to the Indians in the Cranbury area in 1745-46. He was said to have preached in Cranbury under a gigantic elm tree near present-day Bunker Hill.


Westminster Cemetery

Westminster Cemetery, burying ground for the Second Presbyterian Church, was opened in 1837 soon after the start of the church. It continues to be the burying ground for many families.


Return to Historical Society
Return to Historic Cranbury Homepage